Novodevichy Monastery in the evening. Russian Orthodox female monastery of the Church in Moscow. Novodevichy Monastery was founded by Grand Prince Vasily III in 1524 – in honor of the Smolensk Icon of the Mother of God "Odigitriya". Is simultaneously a active monastery and a branch of the State Historical Museum. In the 1890’s – 1900’s architect SK Rodionov were carried out restoration work on the restoration of buildings and structures of the monastery. Next to the monastery is located Novodevichy Cemetery Novodevichy Large pond and park, along the bank of the pond paved walkway leading to the white stone bridge and the square.